January 31, 2017. We are reporting today on the Federal Parliament's response to the electronic Petition filed on June 20 2016 that Humanist Canada participated in as an initial signatory regarding the removal of “Blasphemous Libel” from Canada’s criminal code.
The petition was lead by the Canadian Secular Alliance and their President , Greg Oliver. The petition was signed by 7,406 Canadians.
Parliamentary support was graciously initiated by Federal MP, Ali Ehsassi of Willowdale Ontario.
Significant support was afforded by:
- Association du Humaniste de Quebec through their President and Humanist Canada Board member Michel Virard
- British Columbia Humanist Association with E.D. Ian Bushfield
- International focus is provided by the IHEU and the "International Coalition Against Blasphemy Laws"
- Secular Connexion, Quinte Secular Humanists, Halton Peel Humanists and many more regional secular groups also supported the initiative.
- National support closely followed Canadian population demographics
The Federal Government has indicated their plan is to "review" Section 296 of the criminal code as part of their review of the Criminal Code to remove obsolete statutes.
We applaud Minister of Justice and Attorney General The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybaud and the progressive action being taken to serve Canadians with this initiative.
The criminal code revisions are a very positive step for Canadians.
Humanist Canada Board of Directors, 01/31/2017
Full details of the Petition may be viewed at: